Monday, January 18, 2016

Murder Investigation Lab

This was actually a pretty fun lab! After Hamming and I finished our outline of a  procedure, we ventured back to the lab station to start our experiment. We began by testing .5 mL of the unknown solution with .5mL of each of the test solutions (NaCl and Na2CO3). We determined that the murder substance was silver nitrate because the reaction produced a precipitate and we were able to do the reaction on a larger scale. We measured out 10mL of the silver nitrate and 10mL of NaCl and reacted it in the flask while filtering the precipitate into the filter paper. The liquid produced wasn't filtered nearly enough, so we made sure to run it through the filter again to get the best results. After obtaining all of the data needed, we made sure to calculate the molarity of the solution to catch the killer, which was Mr. Green. We completed a lab write-up as well to turn in a few days later, complete with our materials used, our procedure, our calculations, and a conclusion summing up what our data told us.

Below is our substance being filtered the first time into the first flask:

And here is the culprit:

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that you got Mr. Green too! At first I was forgetting a step in my math, but after talking to people in class I realized my mistakes. It's always great to hear people get the same answer though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I thought was interesting was that we had to figure out how to do the lab. This made it very difficult but once we figured it out It was very rewarding. I am also glad you got Mr. Green because after completing the lab our lab group was a little weary on our end results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I thought this was a fun lab. It was challenging but in all of the right ways. I feel like I benefited from the work that I was doing

    ReplyDelete