Thursday, January 28, 2016

Wednesday Lecture

Another week, another unit. This week we were introduced to the concept of acids and bases and how they behave. Wednesday we mainly focused on the basic types of acids and bases: arrhenius and Bronstead-Lowrey. In arrhenius acids and bases, the acid or base breaks apart into their separate ions. On the other hand, Bronstead-Lowrey acids donate a proton and bases accept a proton. B-L acids produce conjugate bases and its bases produce conjugate acids; these types of reactions can also be performed backwards, but don't to it backwards unless, it specifically says to in the problem. Acids have varying strengths depending on the ratio of oxygens to hydrogens; if the oxygens outnumber the hydrogens by 2 or more, then the acid is strong.

A few strong acids are:
HCl
HBr
HI
HClO4
HClO3

2 comments:

  1. I like that everyone in our class immediately memorized the three strong acids. It makes me laugh, like, I know that she told us to, but it still kinda kills me. I think you provided a good explanation of the first lecture and I look forward to your future blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you did a good job explaining arrhenius acids and bases and bronzed-lowery acids and bases. I actually understood this part for the test but i think I forgot the rule of oxygens outnumbering hydrogen by 2 or more= strong acids.

    ReplyDelete